Tuesday, November 9, 2010

What am i doing...


... when i draw?
am i trying to 'transfer' the 3D object before me onto the page?
does it matter if the drawing 'looks like' the object?
is this a practical exercise or a spiritual one? does it matter?
immediate thoughts written in my sketchbook read:
Flowers from Jane.
Chose a section. Lit from the left (11.30am - dull day)
Realized as drawing, I don't have the skills to draw realistically, so went for the impression and again the focus on colour. esp. important on a dull Nov. day.
Need to endeavour to verbalize my emotional responses to colour. It IS important - deeply - can i work out why? Is it just reacting to a bright spot on a dull day. Certainly these flowers have a cheery demeanor deepened by the fact a gift from an old, not-often-seen friend. Can I capture that response? I feel it's more important than wanting to draw realistically, i.e. impressionist v. naturalistic.
Does the medium convey the message i.e. pastel pencil = more impressionistic. Would an artist's pen convey a more naturalistic i.e. more accurate drawing? What am I doing when I draw? What's my purpose?
such thoughts inspired by reading Wassily Kandinsky's Concerning the Spiritual in Art. i think art - making it, seeing it, responding to it - is a spiritual activity. but i want to develop both my practical skills and my responses as i do this course...
i've been thinking a lot about whether Art is my 'religion', the way i make sense of the world...
such thoughts are truly big and deep, but they are important to me. and i always find it interesting when an artist can articulate verbally aswell as visually. i find it adds another dimension of meaning to the artwork...
i sense such thoughts will ebb and flow as this course progresses, coming to the fore and receding... and i intend to record as many of them as possible.

12 comments:

  1. How interesting that you wrote "i always find it interesting when an artist can articulate verbally aswell as visually." I am preparing a blog post in which I will say the exactly opposite thing.... I can't articulate many things verbally, that is why I paint them and leave the emotions, thoughts, feelings in a visual form. Interesting and wonderful how people are different and how there are always several ways to look at the same thing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're so right, zorana! the world would be so boring if we were all the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never, never, never give up trying to regain lost function. The brain is a lot more plastic than people think. But remodeling takes time. You'll have to fight tooth and claw for every little scrap, but even a tiny victory is still a victory. Realistically, miracles are not going to happen, but anything you can get back is more than you had before. In the words of the haiku, "Slowly, Slowly, slowly, climbed the snail up mount Fuji."
    That's my cheerleading for today.
    WOL (8>)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a wonderful post! It really had me thinking about the verbal/visual connection.

    Also loved WOL's snail quote :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Claire :)
    I don't pop into the blogosphere often but I have followed up and discovered your blog :).
    I too have read Kandinsky! By the fire one winter researching for an art history essay. Fascinating ideas and complex.
    Have you heard of the "flow" experience? It's a psychological phenomena, maybe spiritual. Some people find that zone when making art. Sometimes or occasionally or rarely. It's like time passes and you have no idea if it has been 5 minutes or two hours. Those moments are worth so much to me.
    I've been making art since I can remember. I have also studied art on the local community level right through to a degree at art school. From all of that here are the few simple important things I learnt!
    * There is no right or wrong though there are many schools of thought and art knowledge. Some teachers and students will tell you there is only one right way. Don't believe them.
    * It is only a piece of paper and can be thrown away...so experiment and be free to "have a go" or change what you are doing
    * Trust yourself. Trust that inside you there is a core of you..your "voice". In future years if you look back on everything you make you will always (or others will) see a flow running through. That is you.
    * there is a whole dimension of experience that words cannot touch on as words are so analytical and cerebral. colour, texture, tone, quality of a line, these things are visceral :). A lovely wobbly line can be more touching and beautiful than the most perfectly painted still life.

    Long comment..but I wanted to share those things with you.

    tess

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello. first, thank you for stopping by my blog post.. I have been away for awhile and am just now getting back to blogging and getting caught up with comments... you have written some thought provoking words here- there are 2 sides to this art making - the creative side where the artist is driven to make art - from the soul.. and practice makes a big difference skill-wise...artists need both- the drive to create from their own unique voice whatever they want, and the skill to voice it. looks are you are working on both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for the sweet comment, it really meant a lot to me..xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmmm... you make me think :)..... My question would be, why would we bother with the painting, if we could express what we want to say with our words ?..... I think these are 2 totally different languages , and some times you can vaguely translate and sometimes not at all !! I like your journal, that you have both there.... writing and painting, it looks beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  10. love it so much that you journal with art. art is great therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI, I saw your post on the woyww page about the ATC and the fact you had a stroke and can't work so small anymore. Im sure anyone would be more than happy to have a tag you made a while back, I know i would. Its inspiring to see a stroke has not stopped you. Good luck. hope to see the atc on someones blog in the future. mark

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Claire,
    Jenn here from Inspiration Avenue. IA has decided to eliminate the wrap ups as we figure everyone is clicking on the Mr. Linky links anyway to see the art and it's a lot of work to put all the art on every sunday. we will be replacing the sunday wrap up with some other exciting things though so keep coming back!
    Best,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete